Many people are currently working from home. It is crucially important to pay attention to information and cybersecurity in this situation. For example, working from home means an extra challenge to secure your organisation's network. Infradata recommends taking precautions where necessary and promoting safe working from home (or Secure Remote Access) to your employees.
What you can do to promote Secure Remote Access solutions
- Set up a secure connection to enable employees to securely access the company network from home. For example, use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) or another Remote Secure Access solution.
- Make maximum use of multi-factor authentication and enforce the use of strong passwords. Optionally, set up additional monitoring and application security on applications essential to your employees to be able to work from home. Also take into account that a possible overload or failure of these applications might take place.
- It is advisable to give phishing schemes extra attention. There are coronavirus themed phishin scams that deserve extra attention and should be known to your employees. Also make sure that employees know how to securely report these schemes when found. Take into account a possible increase in reporting and direct your incident response accordingly.
Working from home safely
- Provide the necessary (network) capacity to serve the larger number of home workers. This includes both the IT infrastructure and the telecom infrastructure
- Assess which employees should be in the office to support the IT facilities needed to work from home
- Make sure that the considered options to enable employees to work from home are tested and kept up to date
- Install the latest hardware and software updates
- Be aware of a possible increase in reports of phishing emails and fake emails
- Ensure that your organisation's guidelines are up-to-date and known to employees regarding information security, including the (home) use of hardware and software and the possible use of private IT facilities.
- Check that the Remote Secure Access solutions you're using are safe
What employees can do to improve security when working from home
- Use a trusted and secure LAN or wireless network
- Allow for longer response times due to capacity issues, which can slow down applications.
- Consider receiving phishing emails and emails themed with topics related to global trends or news. Criminals are known to take advantage of current developments by sending phishing emails or distributing malware. If you have received a malicious email, report this to your management organisation. And never respond to the phishing email.
- Do not click on links in emails, do not open unknown attachments, and do not enter information about emails you don't expect or are from an unknown sender.
- Follow the organisation's guidelines regarding cyber and information security. Be aware of information at home and what you discuss in messaging apps or during a video conference.
- Also follow your organisation's guidelines regarding the use of hardware and software. Think of using private and peripheral equipment and installing applications.
Talk with an Expert
Speak with a solutions expert or architect. Give us a call or leave a message. Our team is ready for your business.
Infradata Secure Remote Access
Simple, secure access to apps and desktops from anywhere in the world